Ariana Grande's new song breaks free at pop radio; Iggy Azalea, Rita Ora and Charli XCX also have strong weeks.
Thanks to an even warmer opening week reception than that given to predecessor “Problem,” Ariana Grande’s new release “Break Free” ranked as pop radio’s most-added track this week.
According to Mediabase, the new track, which features Zedd, landed at an impressive 72 pop stations in conjunction with its official impact. Major stations like Los Angeles’ KIIS and 97.1 AMP and New York’s 92.3AMP were among those to get in on the action this week.
Grande’s previous single “Problem” scored 55 adds in conjunction with its official pop radio impact in late April. It eventually became–and still is–the most-played song on the pop format.
Iggy Azalea, who appears on “Problem” as a featured artist, claimed the week’s second-most-added distinction with her new release “Black Widow (featuring Ora).” The track, which had already garnered significant support ahead of this week’s official impact, landed at another 44 stations.
After reigning as the format’s most-added last week, Charli XCX’s red-hot “Boom Clap” scored pickups from 22 more stations to earn third-most-added honors. Clean Bandit’s “Rather Be (featuring Jess Glynne)” followed as fourth-most-added with 18 pickups, while Enrique Iglesias’ “Bailando (featuring Sean Paul, Descemer Bueno and Gente de Zona) and The Madden Brothers’ “We Are Done” tied for fifth with 17.
Dillon Francis & DJ Snake’s “Get Low,” which functions as a follow-up to “Turn Down for What,” DJ Snake’s smash hit collaboration with Lil Jon, scored 15 adds in conjunction with this week’s official impact to rank as the format’s seventh-most-added track.
Meghan Trainor’s “All About that Bass” followed with a healthy 14 adds in its second week, while AJR’s “I’m Ready” rode its 12 pickups to rank as ninth-most-added.
Kiesza’s “Hideaway” and Rita Ora’s “I Will Never Let You Down” tied for tenth-most-added with 11 adds each.
Since Mediabase’s airplay chart only includes data from monitored reporters, it is also worth evaluating how songs fared specifically at those stations:
1) Ariana Grande – Break Free featuring Zedd – 68 monitored adds
2) Iggy Azalea – Black Widow featuring Rita Ora – 41 monitored adds
3) Charli XCX – Boom Clap – 19 monitored adds
4) Clean Bandit – Rather Be featuring Jess Glynne – 16 monitored adds
4) Enrique Iglesias – Bailando featuring Sean Paul, Descemer Bueno and Gente de Zona – 16 monitored adds
6) Dillon Francis & DJ Snake – Get Low – 15 monitored adds
6) The Madden Brothers – We Are Done – 15 monitored adds
8) Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass – 13 monitored adds
9) AJR – I’m Ready – 11 monitored adds
9) Kiesza – Hideaway – 11 monitored adds
9) Rita Ora – I Will Never Let You Down – 11 monitored adds