In accepting “Latch” as a solid hit and “La La La” as a major one, Top 40 radio has already proven itself a fan of Sam Smith’s voice.
But it was likely saving its warmest embrace for Smith’s lead, solo entry “Stay with Me.”
The track, which ranked as the week’s most-added song, is also one of the format’s biggest airplay gainers. Thanks to a week-over-week increase of 1001 spins (the 6th-largest for the format), “Stay with Me” already ranks as the #32 song on Mediabase’s rolling airplay chart.
Thanks to its inclusion in major market rotations, its audience ranking is even higher. With an estimated 10.2 million impressions over the trailing seven days, “Stay with Me” reached pop radio’s 26th-largest audience.
Other top 40 stories:
– Justin Timberlake’s “Not a Bad Thing,” which has carved out a comfortable position at #2, is within striking distance of the #1 position. John Legend’s “All of Me,” which is losing traction, currently holds the throne.
– Paramore’s “Ain’t it Fun” is comfortable at #4.
– While its momentum has slowed, Ed Sheeran’s “Sing” continues to make gains. It is currently #6 on the Mediabase airplay chart.
– Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy (featuring Charli XCX),” the greatest airplay gainer over the past seven days, moves into the #7 position on the Mediabase chart. Set to imminently leapfrog Sheeran’s “Sing,” it should also soon vault into the top five.
– DJ Snake & Lil Jon’s “Turn Down for What,” which is Top 40 radio’s 4th-largest airplay gainer, reaches a new peak at #9.
– Benefiting from several declines on the chart, Christina Perri’s enduring “Human” reaches a new peak of #30.