If Tiesto’s “Wasted (featuring Matthew Koma)” posts an unimpressive add count when it officially impacts pop radio on June 17, it will not be because radio programmers rejected the song.
It will be because so many of them have already added it.
Already the #45 song on Mediabase’s rolling airplay chart, the follow-up to Tiesto’s mainstream breakthrough single “Red Lights” scored an impressive seventeen adds at the pop/Top 40 format this week.
The week’s 10th-most-added track, “Wasted” landed at more new stations than Enrique Iglesias’ “Bailando (featuring Gente De Zona)” (14) and Bleachers’ “I Wanna Get Better” (8), which did officially impact this week.
It was not the only song to make an early splash.
– After a solid week of pickups last week, Avicii’s “Addicted to You,” featuring an uncredited Audra Mae, launched at another seven stations. It officially impacts on June 3.
– The pop remix of Jerrod Niemann’s country hit “Drink to That All Night,” which features a rap verse from Pitbull, scored six weekly adds. A formal impact date has not yet been announced.
– Echosmith’s “Cool Kids,” which also formally goes for adds alongside “Addicted to You” on June 3, earned pickups from five stations.
– Nicki Minaj’s “Pills N Potions,” which was this week’s most-added song at rhythmic radio, earned three adds from the Top 40/pop format. Its pop impact date is June 10.
– Still rising at alternative, Tove Lo’s “Habits (Stay High)” landed at three pop radio stations this week. One of those three adds came from Los Angeles’ influential KIIS. While Republic flirted with officially sending the song for Top 40 adds on June 10, it is now claiming that the song will formally impact pop radio on its original June 17 date.