Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead, Drug Overdose Apparently to Blame
Acclaimed actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York City apartment Sunday morning. He was 46.
Based on the scene–a syringe was found in his arm and a nearby envelope contained what is believed to be heroin–police are attributing the death to an apparent drug overdose.
“It’s pretty apparent that it was a drug overdose,” a police official said, according to the New York Times. “The syringe was in his arm.”
After battling substance issues as a young adult, the actor, who won an Oscar for his work in “Capote,” maintained sobriety for 23 years. His struggles recently returned, however, and in May 2013, he spent a brief period in an East Coast rehab facility.
“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone,” his family said in a statement posted by FOX News. “This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.”
Image credit: Hudson Union Society