- SNL Highlights: Bill Hader and Fred Armisen Say Goodbye, Amy Poehler ReturnsPosted 14 hours ago
- Vitor Belfort Crushes Luke Rockhold With Spinning Heel Kick; UFC on FX ResultsPosted 1 day ago
- Candice Glover Wins “American Idol,” Becomes First Female Winner in Six YearsPosted 3 days ago
- Report: Nicki Minaj Joins Randy Jackson in Leaving “American Idol”Posted 4 days ago
- “The Voice” Reveals Top Ten, Eliminates Garrett Gardner, Vedo from CompetitionPosted 5 days ago
- “How I Met Your Mother” Finally Reveals Cristin Milioti as The Mother, Ted’s WifePosted 6 days ago
- FOX Reveals New Schedule, Keeps “Glee” On Thursdays, Adds Friday ComediesPosted 7 days ago
- NBC Reveals New Schedule and Shows, Moves “Revolution,” Holds “Community” PremierePosted 7 days ago
- NBC Officially Confirms Seth Meyers as New “Late Night” HostPosted 8 days ago
- ABC Keeps “Nashville,” Orders “Agents of SHIELD,” “Once Upon a Time” Spin-OffPosted 9 days ago
“Rock of Ages,” “That’s My Boy” Bomb in Box Office Openings
Save for the occasional “The Avengers,” the summer of 2012 has thus far been a summer of disappointing opening weekend performances at the cinema.
That track record will not change this week, as new openers “Rock of Ages” and “That’s My Boy” are pacing below the already modest opening weekend projections.
Both, in fact, will allow last week’s premieres “Madagascar 3″ and “Prometheus” to claim higher spots on the totem pole.
“Rock of Ages” kicked things off Friday with just $5.4 million, making a debut in the mid-teens seem likely for the full weekend. Some had been forecasting in the high-$20 millions for the musical adaptation.
“That’s My Boy,” Adam Sandler’s R-rated vehicle with recent “SNL” graduate Andy Samberg, performed even worse, generating just $4.6 million for a weekend also in the mid-teens. That film had been projected to earn in the $22-28 million range.
“Madagascar 3″ and “Prometheus” led Friday on $10.0 million and $5.8 million, respectively, while “Snow White & The Huntsman” rounded out the top five on $4 million.